LEFKADA

         
 

It is the fourth largest island in the Ionian. It was thought to be a peninsula and was made into an island, but scientific research proved it to have been always an island separated from the mainland by a shallow sea passage. The island took the name “Lefkas” from the town Lefkas built by the Corinthians in ancient times.

The historian Thoukididis refers to the canal, saying that through this the Athenian general Asopios sailed to Nirikos. Aristotle in his book “Politika” mentions that the regime of the people of Lefkada was democratic. In 197 BC the Romans captured Lefkas. Around 1200 AD Lefkas came under the rule of Venetians who 1300 built the fort of Santa Maora. It was named after a small church of Santa Maora which was inside the fort. In 1479, it was captured by the Turks who sold many Lefkadians for humiliating prices at slave markets. In 1810, English forces with 500 Greeks apprehended the island which remained under English occupation until 1864, when, along with other Ionian islands, it was reunited with mother Greece.

Lefkada is an attractive town with cobblestone roads and mostly wooden cottages. The churches of Ag. Spiridona, Ag. Nikolaos and Pandokratora are splendid. The latter was built by the Enetians in 1684. Visit the churches of Ag. Dimitrios and Ag. Minas to admire the paintings from the great artist Panagiotis Doxaras and his son Nikolaos.  

During August, there are celebrations in Lefkada town, the famous “festivities of the speech and art” with which the town becomes very lively. A nice food the fishermen produce is fish soup with many potatoes and little liquid. You may ask for the local barrel wine (“Kokkineli”). Do not forget to eat the sausages and lentils of Eglouvis.

 
 

 

More...

 
 

Back

 
 

Copyright © 2005 Micro